(03) 9584-0896
1300 663 854
Home  |  Info  |  Site Map  |  Contact  Us
Car Hire | Car Lease | Motorhomes | Canalboats | River Cruising | Specials | Ferries | Accommodation | Attractions
Products: Avis Car Away Motorhome Rentals France - FAQ's
United Kingdom
Non European
New Zealand
South Africa
USA - America
Other Links:
Read More
Motorhome FAQs
Helpful Info
Currency Converter

Frequently Asked Questions

Click here for France Vehicle Index Page

Q. How do I get to the rental location ?

A. Usually our depots can be reached by public transports or more easily by taxi. Optional private transfers from designated areas can be arranged upon request.

Q. Is it possible to pick up a motorhome in one city and drop it off in another ?
A. Yes! One way rental is available between all our branches (except Corsica). We have depots in all the
major gate ways of France. Conditions apply.

Q. When can I pick up the vehicle ?
A. Vehicles can be picked up (and returned) between 09:00 and 11:00 and between 14:00 and 16:00 or 17:00.
All our depots are closed for lunch
(except for Corsica - Ajaccio Depot on request)

Q. When must I return the vehicle ?
A. Vehicles can be picked up (and returned) between 09:00 and 11:00 and between 14:00 and 16:00 or 17:00.
All our depots are closed for lunch
NO RETURN ON SUNDAY AND BANK HOLIDAYS (except for Corsica - Ajaccio Depot on request)

Q. Is it possible to pick up or drop off the motorhome at the airport or at a train station ?
A. Pick up and drop off of vehicles is available from any of our own depots. Sorry, but we do not have depots located at airports or train stations so pick up and drop off is not available at these locations. All our depots are not far from the airport or the train station, and are approximately 50 to 60 minutes from the airport or train station. The best and easiest way to get to AVIS Car-Away is by taxi - WE CAN ARRANGE PRIVATE TRANSFERS (see above).

Q. Is luggage storage available at the location ?
A. Yes, luggage storage is available at all our locations. It's also possible to leave valuables such as flight tickets. Not applicable in case of One-Way rental.

Q. What kind of instruction will I be given about the vehicle ?
A. You will receive a full orientation of the motorhome, including client's maintenance use and responsibility. Orientation consists of a video in English introducing general concepts of motorhome use as well as a personal instructional walk around of motorhome by a qualified instructor. Operator manual is provided for clients to take with them in English and French.

Q. Are grocery and other facilities available near the rental station ?
A. Our location staff will be happy to provide you with this information.

Q. Are pets allowed in the motorhomes ?
A. Yes, pets are allowed.

Q. Is it possible to use a current licence to drive a Avis-Car-Away Motorhome in France and Europe ?
A. Yes, all our motorhomes can be driven with a valid driving licence from your country of residence. If you wish you can also travel with a valid International Driving Permit, but this is not mandatory. Our clients from NZ, Australia, South Africa, Canada, US do NOT need an International Permit.

Be aware that the International Driving Permit is NOT a licence but a translation only of your current Driving licence. It must be accompanied by your current Driving licence, which you are required to carry while you are overseas.

Q. Is there a minimum / maximum age to drive the motorhomes ?
A. The minimum age is 23 years. No maximum age.

Q. Is there an additional charge for more than one driver ?
A. No charge for the second driver / 50 for the 3 driver. (maximum 3 drivers per motorhome).

Q. How many seatbelts are in the vehicles ?
A. This depends on what type of motorhome you have. Usually 2 passengers can sit in the front. The other
seatbelts – usually 2 or 4 - are located in the rear around the dining table.

Q. Can a child seat / booster seat be fitted ?
A. Child seats / Booster seats can be fitted in all our models. Ask for further information.

Q. Are motorhomes difficult to drive or slow to accelerate ?
A. Modern motorhomes handle very much like a car and have enough power that they accelerate as quickly as many cars.

Q. Are motorhomes complicated to hook up to campsite facilities ?
A. Connecting the motorhome to campsite facilities requires no technical expertise. You will receive instruction on these connections at the time of pick up.

Q. What type of gas mileage can I expect from the motorhome ?
A. While gas mileage varies greatly depending on travel conditions, the following is an approximate guide:

  • Combi Van : 7-9 litres/100 km
  • Adventure 2 Berth : 9-10 litres/100 km
  • Adventure 4 Berth : 9-10 litres/100 km
  • Classic Class B - 2 Berth : 10-11 litres/100 km
  • Classic Class B - 4/5 Berth : 10-12 litres/100 km
  • Classic Class C - 6 Berth : 12-13 litres/100 km
  • Comfort Class A : 12-13 litres/100 km
  • Comfort Class B : 10-12 litres/100 km

Q. What type of fuel does a motorhome use ?
A. All our motorhomes are powered by DIESEL engines.

Q. Do you have motorhomes with automatic transmission ?
A. Yes, our Comfort Class A has automatic transmission (available at Paris & Marseille only).

Q. What kind of power supply does a motorhome have ?
A. The refrigerator, heater, water heater, stove and range operate on propane gas. The dash air conditioner is powered by the engine while driving and other items by an outside 230V power supply.

Q. What is necessary to bring ?
A. AVIS Car-Away Motorhome comes - almost - fully equipped for the number of people that are travelling. For an extra 35 per person, we provide bed linen including pillows, sheets and blanket. Also, all kitchenware including cutlery, plates, pots and pans are provided. For a small fee we can even provide outdoor camping chairs and tables.

Q. What equipment is available ?
A. Our motorhomes are equipped with :

  • 2 bottles of propane gas (one full, the other one half full)
  • 1 bottle of toilet chemicals
  • 1 fire extinguisher
  • 1 water hose
  • 1 jerrycan (20 liters)
  • 1 electric cord + European adapter
  • 1 broom + dustpan
  • 5 clothes hangers
  • 1 kit of spare fuses and bulbs
  • 1 bilingual User's Manual
  • 1 map of "Aires de Services" (service areas)
  • 6 plates, 6 dessert plates, 6 glasses, 6 bowls or mugs, 6 knives, 6 forks, 6 spoons, 6 tea spoons
  • 1 can opener, 1 corkscrew, 1 bottle opener
  • 1 frying pan, 2 sauce pans, 1 salad bowl, 1 platter, 1 strainer
  • matches
Optional bedding kit includes blanket, sheets, pillow and pillow cases. Sorry but we do not have towels. Additionally there may be other items such as chairs, baby seats, etc. which may be rented depending upon availability.

Q. Can I travel to Eastern Europe ?
A. Travel to Eastern Europe is limited to Poland, Hungary, Czech Rep., Slovakia, Estontia, Latvia, Lithuania, Croatia and Slovenia. Travel to other Eastern Europe countries is not permitted and not covered by Avis Car-Away insurance.

Q. Where can I stay in the motorhome ?
A. There are approximately 3,000 campgrounds in the France. Sites can be found outside major cities, in rural areas, and near popular attractions. For any help, you may visit www.campingfrance.com or www.geotour.com/camping/and for campgrounds in Europe, visit www.francecamping.com or www.guidesusse.com It's also possible to stay in service areas (sanistations) www.eurocampingcar.com or www.france-passion.com

Q. What facilities will I find at campgrounds ?
A. Campground facilities vary greatly dependant on many factors, however a partial list of facilities commonly found at many campgrounds would include: electric and water, washing machines and dryers, swimming pools, recreation rooms, playgrounds, and on-site convenience stores.

Q. How much can I expect to pay per night for a campsite ?
A. Campground rates vary based upon time of year, facilities, and location. Based upon these criteria you can expect to pay between 15 and 40 per night.

Q. Is it necessary to make reservations for campsites at campgrounds ?
A. In some seasons and at some locations it may be necessary to make advance reservations. This is especially true during high season travel and at very popular tourist destinations.

Q. Do you provide any campground or sanistation guides and or maps ?
A. Yes we provide a detailed guide listing Aires de Services (Sanistations)

Q. Can we just pull over on the side of the road with our motorhome ?
A. We do recommend you stay in recognised camping grounds or caravan parks, you will be more safe in
these areas. In France local by-laws usually require you to utilise the camping grounds. Also, from an
environmental point of view it is also better to stay within designated camping sites.

Top of page


Travel Agents  |  Terms & Conditions  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Blog  |  Travel Resources

© 2004 UK and Europe Travel - A Division of BTEC Travel Pty Ltd.
Telephone: (+61 3) 9584 0896 Fax: (+61 3) 9584 0840   Toll-Free Australia: 1300 663 854
Office Address: By appointment: at 28 Bear Street, Mordialloc, VIC 3195, Australia
Mailing Address: PO Box 5309, Mordialloc, VIC 3195, Australia
Licence Number: #32610