(03) 9584-0896
1300 663 854
Home  |  Info  |  Site Map  |  Contact  Us
Car Hire | Car Lease | Motorhomes | Canalboats | River Cruising | Specials | Ferries | Accommodation | Attractions
McRent FAQ Section - Frequently Asked Questions
United Kingdom
Non European
New Zealand
South Africa
USA - America
Other Links:
Read More
Motorhome FAQs
Helpful Info
Currency Converter

McRent Motorhomes

Croatia  -  Estonia  -  Finland  -  France  -  Germany  -  Holland  -  Iceland
Ireland  -  Italy  -  Norway  -  Poland  -  Portugal  -  Spain  -  Switzerland  -  UK

What camper vans does McRent hire out ?

As a 100% subsidiary of Dethleffs, we rent out Dethleffs vehicles. In addition, we also hire out Globecar and VW California vehicles. No McRent vehicle will be older than 2 years.

What models are rented out ?
Our wide selection of different layouts offers the suitable vehicle for "everybody", ranging from the small two-seater (Compact Standard) down to the spacious, fully integrated 6-person vehicle.

Are caravans also rented out ?
No, we exclusively rent out camper vans / travel vans / motor caravans. These are automobile units.

Is there a minimum term of lease for renting a Motorhome ?
Depending on the season, our minimum term of lease is between 7 and 14 days. Shorter terms of lease are subject to consultation of the respective renting station.

What age regulations apply to the renting of a Motorhome ?
The renter must be in possession of a valid identity card / passport and driving licence.
For the groups Compact, Family and Comfort, the renter´s minimum age is 21 years. For the Premium group, the minimum age is 25 years.

What driving licence regulations apply to the renting of a camper van ?
As regards vehicle groups Compact, Family and Comfort, the renter must have been in possession of a category III or category B driving licence for at least one year.
Please note that vehicles of the Premium group have an overall weight of more than 3.5 tons. This requires possession of a category III or category C/C1 driving licence since at least 3 years.

When can I receive my Motorhome ?
Handover of a camper van to you is possible only during the station´s opening hours. Moreover, please note that at some stations handover to you must take place in the afternoon and return of the camper van is possible only in the mornings. The exact times will be indicated to you in your offer.

What must I take into consideration when accepting the Motorhome ?
As regards acceptance of the van, please take into consideration that formalities and instructions will require approx. 1 h. Please request an exact time of handover from your station so as to avoid overburdening of the station´s capacity and longer waiting times. Do not plan large driving distances for this particular day. Take your time when accepting the van. Convince yourself together with our employees that your vehicle is fully equipped and that existing traces of use are recorded in the handover certificate.

Will a deposit become due upon handover of the travel van to you ?
Yes. As a matter of principle, a € 1,000.00 deposit is to be provided upon handover of the camper van to you. In the event that the deposit is provided by means of a credit card, the card holder and the renter must be identical. Alternatively, you can also transfer the deposit to us in advance together with the residual rental. Please note in this context that no station is allowed to hand over a vehicle unless the deposit has already been received directly by the station.

What services are included in the rental ?
chemical toilet (cassette), a high-power heating system, a fresh and sewage water tank, safety belts in the living area, servo steering, cable reel and collection cable, a Euro plug for 230V, a separate 12V battery for the living area, a battery recharging device, a bike rack and a stereo radio with CD player. Extras such as tableware, kitchen equipment, child safety seats and snow chains are available on request and for a fee.
Additionally, the following is already included in the rental:

* All kilometres
* Value-added tax
* Comprehensive insurance with a € 1,000.00 own contribution per event of damage
* Limited cover insurance with a € 300.00 own contribution per event of damage
* Liability insurance with a € 50 million flat-rate amount of cover (damage to persons with a maximum of € 8 million per person)
* Fiat Mobility Guarantee and Accident and Breakdown Cover
* Blind
* Partly rear view camera
* Dethleffs security package
* Driver´s cab air conditioning
* Bike rack
* External car wash
* 2 gas bottles
* Levelling chock
* CI cable
* Cable reel
* Toilet chemicals
* Water hose / watering can

Does the travel price also include transfer to the renting station ?
Our vehicles shall be returned to the same station where they have been handed over to you. At some stations, you can also book a one-way rent. In case of a one-way rent, the place of handover differs from the place of return. However, these places are fixed before the term of lease begins and charged additionally. One-way rents are possible solely on request.

Camper vans are handed over to you in a clean and tidy condition on the inside as well as on the outside, and shall also be returned by you in a clean and tidy state. External cleaning is included in the price. If, following return of the vehicle, inside cleaning, emptying of the sewage water tank and / or emptying of the toilet cassette have to be carried out by the lessor in part or in full, the lessor shall charge a cleaning fee. Please note that possibly incurred costs are to be paid directly on site.

What insurance benefits are included ?
When renting a McRent vehicle, you are granted comprehensive insurance with a € 1,000.00 own contribution per event of damage, limited cover insurance with a € 300.00 own contribution per event of damage and liability insurance with a € 50,000,000.00 flat-rate amount of cover (damage to persons with a maximum of 8,000,000.00 € per person.)

How am I to behave in case of an accident or in the event of damage ?
Upon handover of the vehicle to you, you will receive a damage report form which you are obliged to complete in any event of accident. In case of fire, theft, damage caused by game animals or other damage, police and the renting station must be notified. The renting station must also be notified of any details concerning the circumstances of the accident.
Claims for damages of other parties involved in the accident must not be acknowledged.

How and where will I get fresh water on the way ?
In the meantime, you get fresh water for filling purposes at many petrol stations and camping grounds as well as at thousands of supply and disposal stations.
In most cases, only a small fee will be charged for filling up fresh water.

How and where will I get gas on the way ?
Upon handover of the vehicle to you, you will receive two full 11 kg gas bottles, which you may return empty without being charged an additional fee.

At many petrol stations and most camping grounds, you will have the opportunity to refill the gas bottles.
Please note that different connections and different gas bottles are in place abroad and that you need an adapter to refill a German gas bottle. You can inform yourself of any required adapter at your renting station.
The provided German gas bottles must not be exchanged for foreign gas bottles.

What regulations apply to if I wish to take along domestic animals ?
Taking along domestic animals is subject to direct approval by the station. When returned to the station, the vehicle must have the same degree of cleanness as in case of return without a domestic animal. If domestic animals are taken along, higher cleaning costs may be incurred more quickly. The renter is responsible for safe transport of the domestic animals according to regulations as well as for compliance with possible entry restrictions and vaccinations.

What motorisations are offered ?
Our vehicles are equipped with a fuel saving and powerful turbo diesel engine of the newest generation.

Is automatic transmission and trailer coupling available ?
Our hire vehicle fleet does not include vehicles equipped with automatic transmission and/or trailer coupling.

What regulations apply to additional drivers ?
Any additional driver can be registered free of charge at the station upon handover of the vehicle. The renter assumes liability for the additional driver.

Renting from a "private person"
Any camper van lessor renting out his camper van in exchange for a fee acts as a businessman. Hence there can be no "renting out of camper vans by a private person" in the actual sense.

When renting a camper van, please pay attention to entries in the vehicle documentations. Here, there has to be an express reference to registration as a "self-driver renting vehicle". Otherwise, you as the renter will have NO insurance cover in the event of damage!

What costs do I face in case of cancellation ?

McRent charge the following fees

  • Up to 50 days prior to pick up 10% of rental fee
  • Between 49 and 15 days before pick up 50% of rental fee
  • 14 days before pick up 80% of rental fee
  • No show 95% of rental fee
  • We charge a 5% fee to cover our expenses.
  • Travel insurance can cover cancellation fees under certain circumstances.
  • Please ask for a brochure.

Please see here for general Terms & Conditions
France  |  Germany  |  Holland  |  Italy  |  Portugal  |  Spain



Travel Agents  |  Terms & Conditions  |  Contact Us  |  About Us  |  Blog  |  Travel Resources

© 2004 UK and Europe Travel - A Division of BTEC Travel Pty Ltd.
Telephone: (+61 3) 9584 0896 Fax: (+61 3) 9584 0840   Toll-Free Australia: 1300 663 854
Office Address: By appointment: at 28 Bear Street, Mordialloc, VIC 3195, Australia
Mailing Address: PO Box 5309, Mordialloc, VIC 3195, Australia
Licence Number: #32610